ALIS- Academic and Life Skills
ALIS is a student-centered program at Koç University, which aims to support students for a successful and enriching experience throughout their academic life, and introduce them the fundamental skills that are needed in professional and personal life. Prof. Dr. Zeynep Aycan, who founded ALIS program in 2010, has been acting as the Academic Supervisor since then.
ALIS is consisted of two courses designed by ALIS faculty. These courses are offered in accordance with students’ level of development, and they are based on theory and research findings. These courses are: ALIS100- Academic and Life Skills, where freshmen learn about these fundamental skills via experiential learning and reflection, and ALIS350- Academic and Life Skills: Transition to Professional Life, where junior and senior students learn about necessary skills that are often required in today’s competitive professional life.
KOLT- Koç University Office of Learning and Teaching
The mission of KOLT is to lead and support continual development of learning and teaching in KU. To achieve this mission, KOLT provides services to:
, KOLT provides:
- Academic tutoring in most subject areas, including almost all core courses. Academic tutors conduct their tutoring sessions one-on-one with a student or in a small group of students. Students don’t have to book appointments in order to attend a session as most sessions are walk-in. In addition to tutoring, KOLT periodically organizes review sessions for some courses in coordination with the faculty teaching those courses.
- Conversation Circles (CC) to promote fluency in spoken English, French, German and Spanish. The circles are moderated by native speakers of these languages.
- Face-to-Face and Online workshops for basic academic skills:
- how to read and notes effectively in college courses,
- how to manage time effectively,
- how to prepare for an exam,
- how to take an exam,
- how to adjust to academic life at Koç University,
- how to avoid plagiarism,
- how to overcome procrastination,
- how to take an exam,
- how to develop a project,
- how to give presentations by using PowerPoint.
For Teaching Assistants (TA’s), KOLT provides:
- TA training workshops that usually include the following items:
- tips for effective teaching,
- clarity in teaching,
- classroom management,
- grading fairly
- emphasizing important topics,
- motivating students,
- encouraging class participation,
- ethics in teaching and learning.
- Group/Individualized microteaching sessions to enhance the quality of PS, DS and Labs
- Resources of books and videos on various aspects of teaching.
All Graduate students are required to take KOLT 500 workshops during their first semester at KU
The topics which our students and young alumni can consult with our career counselors at all stages of their career planning and development are shaped within the framework below. You can see the details for each audience from the relevant pages.
- Personality/Interest Inventories and Career-Oriented Interpretation
- General Career Counseling
- Planning for Masters and PhD Process
- Review of Curriculum Vitae, Cover Letter and Statement of Purpose
- Interview Preparation
- Walk-In Meetings for Quick Questions